My inspiration for this post is a layered one. Yesterday, I was featured on Independent Fashion Bloggers for their Professional Blogger Spotlight. Such a great honor- THANK YOU JENNINE for thinking me fly enough to share. One of the commenters shared that I share more of myself like this, then I remembered:
How much I was inspired by and motivated to do so after reading Definatlieâ€™s 5 Lessons Learned and 5 Favorites, a post inspired by Amelia Pontes!Â Adding a little twist to this, since I havenâ€™t done this, I thought Iâ€™d share my 5 Lesson Learned throughout this year and my 5 favorites.
5 Lessons Learned
- You learn how strong you really are when your back is against the wall. It has been a little under a year and a half that I lost my job on Friday the 13th of March 2009- of all days! I already had my blog going as a resource; little did I know it would be here. I have been fortunate and blessed to have made it and lasted this long through innovation, determination, and gusto. When resources are minimal- you learn how to make it work; pulling from every resource you have available or that you MAKE available.
- Friends are rare jewels that should be treasured. If not for my circle of friends, especially as I was living on my own up north in Oakland, I might have gone crazy. Either from exhaustion or being glued to my desktop or laptop, my friends drug me out of the house either for a few drinks, food, and/or dancing- and I needed that. When I needed hugs, encouragement, or just some physical interactions, they were there cheering me on, keeping it real, and giving me inspiration.
- Itâ€™s okay to cry. Grinding and building up your own business may sound glitzy and glamorous. BUT it is hard work. Whether tears of joy, exhaustion, or hurt- crying is a healthy release of stress! I used to think I was just being the over emotional weirdo, but I have come to terms with my tears!
- How to eat an elephant. I have goals. I am busy. I donâ€™t have an assistant. I am ambitious. Â I am all over the place, but I am a woman with a plan to make change- and I can only do it one bite at a time. When I started this journey full force, I immersed myself in as much as I could, in my mind, for a greater good. Through it all I have learned balance, not limitations AND how to work smarter not harder.
- Family Matters. This year, I moved back home to southern California, and my car hates me for it. I became an auntie of this bundle of joy, got closer with my lil sister (only by two years, but she is still my IMOTO), got to learn my mother all over again, and to be present for family gatherings and drama. As crazy and beautiful this transition, I needed them. Nothing is better than being blessed to be home, as it is where the heart is.
- Muscato Wine is the business after a long day.
- Chargers for the camera, phone, and car.
- Coffee- I need t least three cups a day!
- Jill Scott, Ledisi, Marsha Ambrosious- my neo soul sisters who can blow, rock their curves, and whose voices sooth my soul.
- My Simply Be Over the Knee Boots in Nude (on me they are Nude)
Thank you to Janelle, Kija, Raymond, Gwen, Maddy, Veronica, Krystee, Sharon, Maria (#1 and #2), Mom, Nanna, Jasmine, Christina, Sarah, Glen, and YOU my readers!!!!!!
I will do these on a regular basis, as I realize they are quite insightful for me along this journey! Always know if you ever have any questions, would like me to write about something in particular- you can email me!
GET PLUS SIZE FASHION NEWS IN YOUR INBOX! ;)
Sign Up For My Weekly Newsletter To Get The Latest Plus Size Fashion News And Exclusive Offers! Once A Week, On Sundays!