Sommer Johnson of Gemini Magazine is today’s fashionable guest blogger! As a diva who is finding her way through the fashion and its amalgamation of rules, trends, looks and style for Fall, she addresses some of her own frustrations and tips to make it work for Fall!
Can I Clean in Valentino?
Being a wife, mother of two, business owner, school volunteer, and yes, the dishwasher filler upper, I need fashionable pieces that can move with me. My main goal at 30 is to not be bogged down with unnecessary things, and fussy fashion is not one of them. I need to be able to put dishes in the dishwasher, vacuum the floor, have a business meeting, and volunteer in the cafeteria at school all in one day…all in one outfit.
For years, I have flipped through the pages of Harper’s Bazaar and Vogue distracted by the scents of high end perfumes and odd texture pairings. The delish Prada, Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, Chanel, and Gucci ads sucked me in, making me believe I could look as bad ass or as sexy as the models effortlessly displaying the must haves of the season. As a young woman with nothing more than studying to do, I had time and patience to deal with the fussiness of looking fashionable (these days, I barely have the patience to sit through a 30 second red light). Once the size 12 moved out of my closet and the 18’s and 20’s took over, looking fashionable was more than fuss…it was a pain in my–well, you know.
So what does a curvy girl do when all she wants is comfortable, non-fussy, beautiful fashion that you can…well…clean in? Well, I have some tips that may help, especially with Fall fashions being splashed on 500+ pages of the fashion bibles of the world with not a curvy diva in sight.
- Know who you are and what you are willing to put up with. I, personally, am not willing to show the world my stomach and the way it rests on my thighs when sitting. Other women feel differently about the stomach area, God bless ’em. Figure out what works best for you and your life style.
- Spend the day shopping. Sounds like fun, but it really is not. It’s work. Find a fantastic curvy stylist (such as Garner Style for the East Coast curvies, and Marie Denee for the West Coast curvies) to spend the day teaching you about fabric, high end vs. low end, how to mix the two, and what looks best on you. Trust me, it makes your life easier. With this knowledge and a few fab key pieces your fashion life will be much more fulfilled.
- Do not be afraid of price. Yes, I said it. The cheapest diva on the planet. After my shopping trip with Marie Denee, I realized there was a method to her madness. Most of the time, especially in fashion, what you pay for is what you get. WalMart specials can play a role in our closets, yes, however, putting out for that one fabulous piece can make all the difference in the world when you are slipping into it at 6 a.m. and slipping out of it at 10 p.m.
- Invest in the proper under garments. The proper bra is necessary. Please, find one. Big breasted woman, I know it is rough. We have to pay $50+ for a good one, but the investment is well worth it when you don’t have to pull and tug at your straps. I know, I know, some people don’t like the shape wear debate, but just humor me ok? Girdles, Spanx, whatever you want to call them, are necessary evils under your clothes. They allow your clothes to hang just right. The key to picking the right shape wear (for fuss less fashion) is making sure it is comfortable to wear.
- Pick the right designer for your body. There are tons of fantastic designers that cater to your curves. Please stop spending your money on things that do not fit. Take your money to the closest curvy boutique or designer and make it work for you.
- Know your limits. A while back, I interviewed Ms. Deborah Gregory (the author of the Cheetah Girl Series), and when we hit the fashion part of the interview I was awakened. The knowledge she dropped in that hour was amazing. She has limits and she sticks with them. She works with in the color families that work best for her and she does not stray. By working with only certain color families, it makes shopping and dressing a breeze! Is that not genius?
So what is hot for fall? A ton, but I will leave that to the more fashion conscious to explain. What I do know is that not all of it was made for the all around busy woman. Take this advice and let it sink in before you go filling your closet with this season’s must haves. Be sure of yourself, what you need, and what you want. It’s as simple as that.
Keep it Curvy.Confident.Chic.