Shopping for people can be challenging, especially if the person is the nostalgic one of your group. Many of us wouldn’t know where to begin because it’s been years since we’ve seen Tamagotchi’s, Pokemon cards, etc. So what exactly can you do? Well, we’ve got you covered! We put together nine nostalgic gift ideas that will be sure to please anyone.
So now that we got last week’s confidence woes and plus size shaming out of the way, I wanted to talk about the underlying issues raised in those posts- which rather than empower and educate, only mocked and criticized the plus size woman.
When it comes to fashion, oftentimes women (both straight AND plus size) cringe at the size of their pant, dress, or bra size.
But since we are plus size here, we shall focus on OUR woes…
It is mindful for me to share with you that YOUR size does NOT define who you are; HOWEVER how you WEAR and rock your fits, DEFINES your personal style.
“Most of all fashion is about being comfortable with yourself; translating self-esteem into a personal style.” -International Fashion Editor Cynthia Durcanin
While there are some women who refuse to admit that they indeed are plus size, there are some who are mortified when they reluctantly have to venture into this area of the store with a defeatist mentality.
Oftentimes, I am confused by this and beg to ask WHY?
Why feel ashamed, embarrassed, frustrated, or scared to venture into the plus size section?
- Plus size departments are treated like the red-headed stepchild (no offense to my beautiful red-headed darlings)
- For the longest time, the plus size departments were frumpy, dumpy, and dated- like venturing into the abyss of the forgotten woman…
- Stumbling into this area either meant dragging along friends who may not be plus size OR being left to shop alone- leaving your girls behind…
Times HAVE changed! While it may not be 100% (I am an idealist but I am a devout realist as well!), when it comes to plus size and fashion, these two words now fashionably coexist!
The key to FEELING amazing in your look is being COMFORTABLE!
Having your top cut you in the arms, dig into your waist, or ride up when walking are uncomfortable!
Constantly tugging and pulling at your clothes creates a level of self consciousness, which diminishes YOUR confidence!
By rocking fits that FEEL GOOD and FIT you WELL are KEY to your CONFIDENCE!
So how do you remedy this?
There are a few ways to overcome specific issues with your size, to help you along your way to feeling Curvy.Confident.Chic.
- When trying on clothes, grab one size UP and one size DOWN from the size you initially grabbed. This way while you are in the dressing room, you try on the one that fits you the BEST and is the MOST comfortable.
- Know that all designers are NOT created or SIZED equal. What is a 16 in one designer may be a 20 in another. WHO cares? If it fits and looks amazing, then buy it! This issue is NOT specific to only plus sizes!
- If the size bothers you to no end, CUT THE SIZE LABEL OUT!
- If you straddle the world of straight and plus sizes (10-16), know that you have a variety of options and stepping across a department or aisle will NOT KILL YOU. It’s okay darling, and those issues about fit you have had may solve itself by crossing the aisle
- Think outside the SIZING box. With the multitude of designers and retailers catering to the contemporary plus size woman, there is an amalgamation of options to play in (and sometimes in the comfort of your own bedroom thanks to social media and the internet!) Your choices and options are endless!
- For the Brave and ultimately frustrated, do a closet overhaul! Grab a friend, loved one, or personal stylist to go through your closet with you! Try on EVERY item and discard those that no longer fit, are outdated, or that you have not worn since Christmas of 2002.
- Turn to plus size fashion blogs for inspiration! Not sure of a trend, look, or ideal of how plus size women can be beautiful? Plus size fashion and personal style blogs provide vast amounts of inspiration!
So, I hope that this helps you on your journey to loving, owning, and celebrating your plus sized curves!
AND GUESS WHAT?
It IS okay to have CONFIDENCE and be a plus size woman! Go figure! lol
What do you think? When you shop, are you one who cringes at the sizes your curves beckon for? Do you experiment with your options? Share with me your personal tips you have when shopping and tell me if your size is an issue for you!