As Prom is around the corner, the furious frenzy of finding that perfect plus size prom dress is among us. Well, no worries! We are here to help you navigate it all!
This week, we are bringing you all the plus size prom goodness and kick things off with Celebrity plus size stylist, Steffany Allen!
To bring you quite a few different style perspectives, why not tap the plus size stylists and experts to share?
Steffy has gathered quite a few style tips for us, to help you make the most of your search for your plus size prom dress!
WE KNOW, that as Prom Season is fast approaching, choosing the perfect dress or outfit can be intimidating.
Here are a Few Plus Size Prom Style Tips to Keep You Encouraged as You are Putting Your Look Together:
- Have an open mind and a positive attitude about the experience to minimize the pressure of shopping.
- Do some online research to see what options are available before heading to the stores. For inspiration, check out what the celebrities are wearing on the red carpet and create your own version.
- Once you get to the store, don’t be afraid to try on EVERYTHING! Hanger appeal can be suspect, and you’ll never know if you don’t try.
- If size options are not available in-store, ask the sales associate if extended sizes can be ordered. (This is also a part of your pre-research)
- Try a pant suit as an option! This look is different, classy and sharp!
- Make sure you get measured for a proper bra! Wearing the right bra changes EVERYTHING!
- Don’t be afraid to try bold colors and prints; it’s ok to be non-traditional.
- Shoes Tip: To loosen up a snug fitting leather shoe, saturate a few cotton balls with alcohol and rub it inside the shoes to dampen the leather. Put on a pair of socks and walk around in the shoes to stretch them out and conform better to your feet.
- Don’t forget your accessories – Earrings, bracelet, necklace and a small clutch or handbag.
- If you’re working with an indie designer for a custom piece, be extremely clear about what you want, remain in consistent communication from beginning to end and put everything in writing so there are no misunderstandings!
If you need a bit more help, visit steffanyallen.com for more tips!
Throughout the week, make sure to come back as we share top picks, where to shop, and more plus size prom options!
We have more options to play in and with and we are here to help!
What style tips do you have to share with our plus size teens? Let us know in the comments below!
Steffany Allen is a fashion and personal stylist based in New York City. Allen has over 25 years of experience in the fashion industry and is currently the Fashion Editor for the online magazine, CurvesBeReal.
Allen is also designer and creative director for her new brand, SteffanyAllenLimited, which creates custom made Kimonos, Maxidresses and Maxiskirts.