Hello everyone, I’m Carol, your friendly neighborhood bra fitter for The Curvy Fashionista! With a decade of experience in bra fittings, I’ve come across a plethora of clients from all walks of life, guiding them to their perfect fit. Throughout the years I’ve heard a few bra myths and have seen multiple misconceptions about the
In the past, finding plus size fashion was a feat because there wasn’t a lot out there for us. Today, there are so many options! Now that we can do so much plus size shopping online, it can be tough knowing where to start. I am hoping to help you navigate this crazy beautiful world of plus size fashion.
What I have done is fashioned ten tips for you to have fun with and to remember as you navigate the interwebs! I am an avid shopper and I even have to sometimes remember a few of these! SO please continue to read on!
Ten Tips for Holiday Plus Size Shopping Online
- Know that all Designers are NOT sized equal. Generally speaking, plus size designers have a certain aesthetic in mind when they create their styles and designs. This means that things may not fit the way you expect. When doing your plus size shopping online, the size guide is your best friend. If in doubt, give them a call or shoot them an email before spending your money.
- Stay Optimistic. I know all too well how daunting it can be to shop in general. Shopping when you can’t even try on the clothes can be really scary. But it can also be fun and rewarding. So go into it with a “glass half full” mentality that you are sorting through all of the no’s to find that outfit that makes you scream “YASSSS!” If you do get frustrated, just take a break, hop on my blog, FB, or twitter and come back later!
- Know Your/Her Measurements. Not your sizes, but your measurements. DO you know your waist measurement? How about your inseam? What about your calf size? Well, with the new designers around, shopping for plus size boots, and trying to LIVE life fashionably online, you will need to know these to make it as easy as possible!
- Quality vs. Quantity. When investing in your wardrobe, take into consideration things like fabric content, return policies, brand awareness, and customer service. I would rather have on fabulous piece that lasts forever than 5 things that ONLY last a month. But this is me. What are YOU looking for? Ask yourself this as you shop to help set expectations!
- Step out of your box ladies! Play with Color and Shape. Play around with something different and you may well find yourself opening a whole new world of possibilities. Bold jewel toned hues, pretty pastels, or popping patterns, there is a lot of fun to be had with variety and options!
- Ask for Help. Most online stores offer some form of customer service, be it by phone, email, or live chat. Use it! Some stores offer complimentary personal shopping or styling help. Not only do you want to reach out to the brand, but reach out to us bloggers as well! It is what we are here for!
- Ask Yourself- Are you a fan of Returns?It is crucial you know this about yourself. Are you open to diving in, or does the Return Policy matter the most? Before you commit to a purchase, find out what their return policy is. There are too many companies out there that are concerned with customer satisfaction for you to settle for less!
- Gift Receipts/Wrapping. There are quite a few places that offer gift receipts/gift wrapping, and other options to make returns and your gift giving for your plus size lady a breeze!
- Have Fun. If you’re not enjoying the experience, it could be that you’re not doing it right! Google, blogs, magazines, Facebook and Twitter offer up sooo many options and resources! Check out plus size magazines, curvy blogs, social media, and all of the other forums out there where people give their feedback about fashion.Also, it is all about perspective- View online shopping as a treasure hunt!
- Give Feedback. If you loved or didn’t love something, speak up about it. Your feedback helps the retailers, the designers and your fellow curvy fashionistas. But I must also caution the way you give feedback and what you are advising…
These are just a few of the tips when shopping- a few focused on the holidays… some applied to both! I could go on, but wanted to prep you for the holiday shopping and keep it cute and easy!
What helps you navigate the online shopping arena? Are there certain tips that have helped you rock out fashionably? Let us know, sharing is caring!