Working out and getting fit on the quest to be healthier is great, but let’s be honest—you want to look totally cute while doing it. Long gone are the days when plus size women were relegated to wearing tons of bulky, oversized workout gear that only made them look bigger instead of flattering their curves.
Luckily modern plus size activewear successfully combines style and functionality, so that you can look street chic while your busting out some intense cardio. From sports bras and leggings to joggers and jackets, we have you covered with a round-up of key pieces you need to add to your shopping cart.
Check out this plus-size activewear round-up from some of the top retailers!
Function and Style: Plus-Size Activewear
1. The only thing better than cute activewear is activewear that gets you motivated to head to the gym and give it your all! This sports bra from Torrid says “Killin’It” on the front and if that isn’t the start of some great motivation, we don’t know what is. Also, the fiery orange color is a nice change of pace from the traditional black.
2. If it’s from Target, chances are you’re gonna love it and that is likely to be the case once you take a peak at the retailer’s new activewear line, Joy Lab. Naturally it’s affordable, but the designs are simple, cute and appropriate for even the most strenuous workout. We have our eyes on this adorable sleeveless, side-tie tank that enhances the waist and provides breathability.
Get the JoyLab Plus Side Tie Tank available at Target.com
3. Perfect workout in and perfect to wear on a cool, breezy spring day. The Nike Sportswear Windrunner Women's Jacket is made with smooth, lightweight fabric for all-day comfort. An adjustable hood offers custom coverage while a vent at back delivers optimal airflow.
Get the Nike Sportswear Windrunner Women's Jacket available at Nike.com
4. Actress Kate Hudson’s creation, Fabletics is a very affordable, modern and street chic activewear line that has sizing up to a 3X. The high-waisted leggings are great because they eliminate the dreaded muffin top and won’t roll down as you get your workout on. They also feature: Moisture-Wicking, Compression Fabric, All-Way Stretch, Chafe-Free, UPF 50+, Internal Waistband Pocket for Key/Card, High-Rise Waist with Slimming Power Mesh Lining.
Get the High-waisted Solid Powerhold 7/8 available at Fabletics.com
5. The Livi Active brand from Lane Bryant is miles ahead of the competition and that’s because they found a way to effortlessly combine figure flattering designs with a modern aesthetic and functionality. Nothing about this collection looks frumpy, but this cute, cropped bell-sleeve jacket is an absolute standout!
Get the Wicking Brushed Jersey Active Jacket available at LaneBryant.com
6. Through an exclusive partnership with Puma, ASOS is determined to make a mark in the plus-size activewear arena. The designs are sexy, edgy and perfect for a round of cardio, yoga or a long run. This cut-out Puma crop top provides just the hint of sexiness needed to look pulled together and the long sleeves offer a bit of modesty. You can pair it with the colored leggings or shorts of your choice or splurge on the entire matching set.
7. A relaxed fit dials up the comfort & who doesn't love Nike! This is an easy on-the-go top!
Get the Sphere Element Long Sleeve Running Top
available at Nordstrom.com
8. I'm a sucker for joggers & a good sports bra! Addition Elle's have just the right support and comfort for working out or wearing around.
9. Just breathe. This breathable tee adds a touch of style to your active wear!
Get the Semi-Fitted Slub-Knit Plus-Size Graphic Tee available at Oldnavy.com
So ladies, we gave you some cool, trendy options to add to your active wear collection, but we want to hear from you.
What are some of your favorite places to shop for workout gear? What are the things you look for when purchasing? How do you keep up with your regimen? Or do you like to just rock the athleisure look from time to time?