For some, coffee isn’t just a choice, but a lifestyle! Having a gift guide for the coffee lover in your life is a no-brainer for anyone shopping this year. Stay at home parents, those of us working from home, and our wonderful essential workers alike, there’s someone in your life who’s a secret (or not so secret) coffee fiend.
Los Angeles has been bustling with emerging plus size designers over the past few years and it is exciting to watch! One of the latest brands to catch our attention was Sante Grace, created by talent agent and designer, Tracy Christian!
Created with the goal of “Accessible High Fashion,” Sante Grace is giving those who appreciate washable silk charmeuse, cashmere, and silk chiffons. Sante Grace takes inspirations from the various design houses we know and creates plus size fashion options that give us both form and function.
Finding options beyond plus size fast fashion used to pose a challenge. However, as the industry is growing and plus size fashion is still outpacing straight-size fashion! This has only created an ecosystem and community that can support the new contemporary plus size fashion options, and Sante Grace is one to know!
We have shared a bit about the designer in the past year, but to dig a bit deeper, we asked Tracy to share with us 6 things that we should know about Sante Grace and why we need these pieces in our closet, now!
6 Things to Know About LA Based Luxe Plus Line, Sante Grace
1.Sante Grace is poor French for Saint Grace. Designer Tracy Christian named the line after her grandmother (Grace) who taught her to sew. “When my grandmother was a young woman she found herself in bad marriage with five young kids. She financed her exit from the marriage by sewing for “stout” women in her church. She moved from Chattanooga to New Jersey and started a new life thanks to design.”
2. Before Tracy started Sante Grace, she used to design her own clothes and have them made. “I never understood why someone would go through all the work of designing, fitting, and constructed a garment only to have it made out of cheap textiles. I want the best I can afford. I’m a quality over quantity. Sometimes the best I can’t afford!”
“But if fine linens and silks were ok for emperors and pharaohs, then they’re ok for me.“
“Silk is a miracle natural fabric. It insulates as well as breathes. It travels well and something looks even better after being a little wrinkled and washed. When what you’re wearing is going to be a big deal; choose silk.”
3. Tracy created Sante Grace to end the crying in the fitting room. You know how some girls grew up hanging out at the mall or shopping as recreation? For Tracy, she shares her own experiences…
“I would cry in the fitting room because the clothes never fit, or my mother and I would get into an argument. I hated looking at my body in that Lane Bryant fitting room mirror. Nothing ever fit the way it was supposed to, and it felt like it was my fault.”
Tracy reflects on how she saw herself and her challenges: “I was tall, with a stomach, wide hips, prominent butt, small waist, and boobs. Now I have Sante Grace and our cut is generous to flatter a more typical American figure. The clothes are life size, not just plus size.”
4. Did you know that Sante Grace has a Secret VIP list? Yes, and it was one that her clients made up themselves! “We make lots of clothes that never go into a larger production run. So, when we manufacture 6 or 8 of an item I call clients who have been vocal via email or social media about their favorite outfits.”
5. They are connected to the community with ties to the Plus Bus. “Jen Wilder and Marcy are partners in the Plus Bus and when I started Sante Grace Jen production managed the line. The ladies have been great and now a portion of the Sante Grace is sold at the Plus Bus.”
6. Tracy is a real-life talent agent! “I’ve been a talent agent for the last 25 years. Ha and I’m really good at it. I’ve been fortunate to have clients win Oscars, Golden Globes… We’ve already had celebs wear Sante Grace to the Grammys but the first time I see someone at the Oscar in our clothes I might cry.”
Intrigued? Curious? Already a fan?
You can shop the newest collection, now at SanteGrace.com!
For those who are curious, they currently carry up through a size 4X/ 28, with plans to further extend their sizing range soon. And YES, there is international shipping for our friends who are outside of the US.
Which items from the collection are you curious about? How do you feel about this new designer and their collection?
Let us know what you think and which items are at the top of your list!
PS. If you are in the LA area on June 11th, meet Tracy at the Plus Bus Sante Grace Pop Up! Deets on their Instagram!