With spring fastly approaching it won’t be long before wedding bells start ringing and the wedding planning begins. Besides having a venue, a wedding party, decorations and transportation, the main item of thee event is the plus size wedding dress.
The bridal gown is the integral piece of the entire event but for plus size women it can be a stressful decision. Whether it’s a sweetheart, A-line, ball gown, or a classic lace dress plus size women have the hardest time finding a dress AND the plus size bridal boutique to cater to our curves.
- Advertisement -
I have seen and even heard stories of women who go into starvation mode just so that they can fit into a dress that they may not be able to fit within a week. What makes matter worse is that there are only a few designers who cater to plus size women. The average American women is a size 14 however the average sample sizes range between sizes 6 through 10. This clearly means that plus size women can’t even try on a sample dress if they wanted to.
The only options are 1) to buy a dress (without knowing if it will really flatter you) and tailor the dress to fit or 2) getting a dress made which can be more expensive than buying a dress. With 2.3 million couples getting married every year in the U.S. (which breaks down to nearly 6,200 weddings a day), I just don’t understand why the bridal industry hasn’t made any significant changes.
Here are a Few Tips to Help You Find the “perfect” Plus Size Wedding Dress:
- Know the theme or style of dress you desire. Take time to research online to locate the type of dress that catches your personality and style. Remember to record the designer and the design code.
- Locate plus size bridal boutiques in your area and call to see what selections they offer and if they carry plus size samples.
- Know your body type and what kinds of dresses look good on you. For example A-line dresses are classic and they fit to your curves. Ball gown dresses add volume, so be mindful about this cut. Mermaid style dress which will incorporate a combination of thee A-line style and the ball gown style.
- Have a realistic budget. Nothing is more discouraging than falling in love with a dress that is considerably out of range! If you are budget sensitive, there are quite a few places you can find a plus size wedding dress under $500!
- Give yourself time. Finding the perfect plus size wedding dress is a process… so be kind to yourself and be patient.
- Have support, but not too much. Sometimes having your family or friends to help you find the best dress is helpful. Sometimes, it can be overwhelming. Keep this in mind when going to try on your dress and make sure that your KEY trusted circle knows YOU and YOUR desires.
- Bring your ideal foundation when trying on your dress. The strapless dress, the shapewear, the undergarments that you will need. This will help you get a better idea of HOW the dress can look on you!
These are only a few tips to keep in mind.
- Advertisement -
But what about you? Do you have any tips for finding the perfect plus size wedding gown? Share in the comments below!
No one should starve themselves to fit into a dress. The dress should fit you, not the other way around. Even though it may take some hard work to find that perfect dress, you just gotta do it! I wish this was emphasized in the article more.
I will love to look like a princess on my wedding day i love the ball gowms
I love the gowns but i couldn’t wear it even once bbut know i get married so I told to my husband that i wanna by the gown and wanna wear it in my anniversary.