New Year, New Attitude, New Looks.
Yes, it is still negative zero on the East coast and rain holds its grasp over the West, however, spring collections are starting to trickle into the department stores and boutiques. For the avid fashionista, she is ready to pounce on the new arrivals. For the plus size fashion newbie, she is curious. Whichever plus size woman you are, you still want to know what to expect for the spring and the interpretation for your curves, a plus sized womans fashion desire is the same nonetheless.
Not to escape the fashionably (and those aspiring to be) plus sized, 2010s spring trends offer a plethora of options to choose from to fashion your curves. Whether you are feeling demure and sexy or bold and edgy, the following trend report takes this years hottest trends and shows how you, the curvy fashionista, can set the concrete runway ablaze.
- A Games afoot
Sportswear is in this spring with four key looks, and no, not the flashdance sportswear, but four key looks: the tomboy, the sporty flapper, the urban dancer, and the Bond bombshell. What is important to note about this trend is that you do not wear pieces as if you just spent an hour trying to get ship shape.
Here are key tips to score the perfect shot with this look:
- Knee high socks or leg-warmers (yes )
- Leather cross-lacing (think the kind you see on boxing gloves or footballs)
- Cut off tees (throwback to the 80s no?)
- Jersey fabrics; mesh
- Pleated tunics
- Plastic buckles, snap closures, and rope ties (thinking the sports kind)
- Deliciously Draped
Taking a cue from falls goddess trend, springs draping trend is infused with structure, and interpreted in every shape for spring- especially the jumpsuits. Draping is extremely figure flattering when worn the correct way. In order to pull this trend off, ensure the fabric skims your shape, not allowing you to disappear in mounds of fabric.
- Denim Delights
Denim what you know is not what it is for spring. Wearing jeans is one thing, but outfitting you curves in denim is the key this season. Denim has permeated every facet of the wardrobe from corsets, blazers, shorts- you name it, and denim has made its mark.
In addition to this, expect a variety of blue hues, as the acid washes have exited the building.
- Tribal to the Future
Confidence is key when rocking this bold fusion of last seasonâ€™s tribal with a futuristic twist. Metal plating, leather tunics, chain link detail, and tribal influences lead the way with this trend. Fashionising.com gives these pointers to step out in fierce fashion:
- Be creative, be confident; wear it with conviction.
- Mix some of the elements listed above in with more glamorous pieces. Sequins as a perfect example can give a look that’s modern mixed with metal.
- Invest in accessories that will give any outfit a warrior edge; like studded leather belts, new and edgier takes on the gladiator sandal, jewelry based on ancient cultures.
- If you’re wearing warrior inspired clothing during the colder Autumn (Fall) / Winter months consider pairing your pieces withÂ ripped tightsÂ for an edgy look.
- Lingerie Delights
Imagine the day you could wear your bra outside and be in style! Ha! Well, this is not necessarily THAT trend, but this one is so close! Dominant on the runway, lingerie, lace, and sheer details were one of the most prominent trends. There is a careful balance of this boudoir look. Lace and sheer accents brings out the feminine side in you. Overdo it, and you could easily look like you are wearing your pajamas.
To wear this think:
- Sculpted bra tops (layered under sheer or lace)
- Corsets instead of tank tops
- Slips as a foundation to your wardrobe, worn under a lace overlay
- Ballerina and lace tights
- See-through lace tees, jackets, and dresses
- Nude heels
- The White Shirt Reinvented
- Relaxed printed or lounge pants
- Anything Khaki
- The boyfriend blazer or tailored vest
- Accessorized to Maximize
Stay tuned, as we delve into the key items for spring and where you can find them!