Hello everyone, I’m Carol, your friendly neighborhood bra fitter for The Curvy Fashionista! With a decade of experience in bra fittings, I’ve come across a plethora of clients from all walks of life, guiding them to their perfect fit. Throughout the years I’ve heard a few bra myths and have seen multiple misconceptions about the
I love the place and state of plus size fashion right now. I revel and frolic in the fashionable options but one thing has been dwelling on my mind… down into the core of my plus size frame.
One thing that irks the hell out of me.
Non plus size models (under a size 14) showing me looks and fits on plus size outfits.
I mean when you look at this, which can YOU identify with?
Can We Get Plus Size Models Modeling Our Plus Size Clothes
Irks the hell out of me for sooo many reasons:
- The clothes RARELY look the same on me (length, fit, or essence) ex. I wanted a skirt from a retailer and a specific smaller sized model was rocking it, but to my surprise upon investigation, they turned it backwards- oh! Okay. How realistic is this for a plus size woman to rock?
- I am forced to use my imagination as to how something will fit (because of the lack of plus size fashion INSIDE stores) which is another issue all to itself- but what do you do? If you cannot give me in store options- then AT LEAST give me a Full Figured One.
- Clothes hang differently on boobs, buts, and hips. Why pad up? There are quite a few of capable plus size models who are making waves…
- There are quite a few professional plus size models (I bold to differentiate, as in studied, signed to smaller agencies, experienced, or a desired “look”) who can easily offer up a great fit, high fashion looks, or inspirational fashion- example? Allison McGevna, Denise Bidot, Fluvia Lacerda, Teer Wayde, Asia Monet, these are off the top of my head… I could really go on!!!
- Quite a handful of plus size models being used now do not like to associate themselves as plus size, so why (as a plus size business owner would you want someone who openly dismisses plus size?) Maybe I am being too sensitive here?
As the plus size fashion world grows by leaps and bounds and retailers are realizing that real money can be had here- since plus size fashion reached $17.5 billion in sales in the 12 months ending in April 2011 (CNN)! Sounds impressive right?
Well then tell me why, according to the same CNN reference, “Only 17% of women’s apparel dollar was spent last year on plus-sized clothing, according to Marshall Cohen, chief retail analyst for the NPD Group. This happened even though plus-sized women had 28% of the purchasing power,” he said.
I hate going on these rants, as in a perfect world, everyone would understand and be rightfully represented, but this really hit a nerve with me today…
Give Me My Plus Size Model!
Okay. I am done.
Q. Am I tripping or am I being too sensitive?
PS. If you agree with what I am saying, PLEASE leave a comment and share with all your peeps! The more comments and attention the louder our voice will be heard! Sound off!