This week’s masterclass is led by Motivational Speaker and Plus Size Virtual Gym Owner Sarah Taylor. Join us in the TCF Style Lounge as we discuss self-love through fitness.
Last weekend, I had the great pleasure to get with my girl squad and attend Ashley Stewart Rock The Block Party. Yes! Another great event this summer for the plus size community. This one-day event hosted by the plus size brand and TCFStyle Expo title sponsor, Ashley Stewart had everything! There was shopping exclusives, informative panel discussions, and fun activities all held inside the BRIC House in the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District. Hello Brooklyn!! There’s something incredibly awesome about a building full of confident women encouraging self confidence and breaking down misconceptions of society.
The featured guest panelists for the event included Kim Etheredge & Wendy Levi from Mixed Chicks, Vera Moore from Vera Moore Cosmetics, Ginger Johnson & Liz Pinkett from Ginger + Liz, Gwen Devoe from FFFWeek, Madeline Jones from Plus Model Magazine, Denise Caldwell Stylist Extraordinaire and more. Even TCF’s Editor In Chic, Marie Denee was in the house as Denise’s Co-host! Hey Girl, Hey! This day was educational and fun. Nothing like a day to just mix and mingle with top industry social influencers, stylist and fellow plus size beauties. As the newest, member of Team TCF and your “around town” connect, I have to share the amazing time I had with 10 Favorite Moments from the Ashley Stewart Rock The Block Party.
Here Are My 10 Favorite Moments from the Ashley Stewart Rock The Block Party:
(In no particular order)
- “Being Your Own Boss in the Face of Adversity” which featured a group of lady bosses from Mixed Chicks, Vera Moore Cosmetics, and Ginger + Liz. It was moderated by Ashley Stewart CEO James Rhee. This panel gave you real look inside the world of an entrepreneur. One thing all the ladies agreed upon was that going to business for yourself is not for everyone. Being an entrepreneur requires a lot of you, and you have to be willing to make sacrifices.
- “How to Make it in Plus” featuring Gwen Devoe, Madeline Jones, Alexandra Boos, and Marie Denee moderated by Denise Caldwell. A good panel always leaves you wanting more, and this was filled with honest feedback of our industry. My favorite points were from Gwen, who said that she wanted to see more established brands collaborate with indie designers. Marie spoke about the importance of taking time for yourself even when you have a mile-long list of things to do.
- Model Bootcamp with Christina Mendez. She gave in-depth tips you need in order to be a successful working model. Information such as how to create a portfolio, how to get an agent, what to wear to walk throughs, and so much more. Women were vested in all that Christina had to offer, there were a lot of women writing down information, or taking notes on their phone.
- Ashley Stewart Fashion show showcasing their Pre-Fall collection. Catsuits, daring cutouts, and amazing denim was all on display.
The First Show:
The Second Show:
- Shopping!! Ashley Stewart had racks on top of racks of items you can buy. Women were picking up items left and right. Aerosoles had shoes on site, so once you had your outfit from Ashley, Aerosoles was there to complete your entire look.
- Makeovers– Vera Moore Cosmetics was selling their latest makeup collection, as well as providing makeovers. Ginger + Liz was offering manicures. Their glitter polish colors are to die for, and all of their products are toxin free! I bought 4 nail polishes, and I can’t wait to try them. Mixed Chicks had a table of their amazing hair care products. Their deep conditioner is what dreams are made of.
- Goodie bags!! I live for a goodie bag. The bag had some gems. Inside there was a Rock The Block Tee, a sample of Mixed Chicks coveted deep conditioner, Ginger + Liz nail polish, Instyle Magazine, lip balm, wallet, list goes on!
- Karaoke– like come on it’s karaoke- Mic Drop
- Seeing gorgeous women of all shapes and sizes enjoying themselves.
- Catching up with my boo’s. Working and blogging can really take you out of the loop, so it’s always a great thing to catch up with your girls and just laugh and have fun. Don’t forget to take care of you, and just enjoy yourself.
Those are my highlights of the day!
Did you attend the event? Did you catch the fashion show? What were some of your takeaways?