Plus Size News Weekly Round-up: 2.8.14
In case you missed it! Check out a recap of the this week’s best plus size news stories.
- Yes, big girls CAN dance. The internet was shocked this week by the prospect of a big girl being able to dance and dance well. Newsflash…we can do anything we want to. BOOM! Watch Whitney Thore kill it on the dance floor.Also, check out Whitney’s campaign to end body shaming.
- Major modeling agency, IMG Models, is taking a step forward and making history by promoting its plus size model roster along side its straight size models during New York Fashion Week this week. How amazing and long overdue!?!? Let’s hope this is a sign of things to come and we’ll start seeing more plus size models getting cast in major fashion shows and shoots in mainstream media. *Fingers crossed*
- Plus size ballerinas take center stage in a new reality TV show called, Big Ballet, in the UK. Contestants, all plus size, will be cast in a dance troupe to perform ballet. Critics say having a show that only features plus size contestants is calling attention to them being ‘different’ from ‘normal’ ballet dancers. But, some argue this is a great step in showing that bigger people can dance and do anything else they want to. Thoughts?
- Did you hear? Jill Scott is joining the Voice as the coach for Usher! This makes us sooo happy and we will be tuning in!
- Fashion Week is here and plus size models are looking to change the game in the latest post over on CBS! They chat with Catherine Schuller and a few others about why there is a need for Plus Size Fashion on the runway!
- Cosmo Latina released an article of 8 Latina Plus Size Models that the Industry is Ignoring and there are quite a few familiar faces.
- Puerto Rico is launching a Curvy Fashion Week! The first ever fashion week for plus sizes will be held March 31-April 6. With over 70% of the women in Puerto Rico wearing over a size 12, the need for plus size fashion is there. This is a step in the right direction of getting plus size fashion on the map. The event will be sponsored by Plus Model Magazine. Find out more here.
- There seems to be quite the conversation being had around sizing and big and tall, and petite, and tall, and plus sizes over on the New York Times Fashion section… Take a read and learn more about this conversation… it is rather intriguing!
News You May Have Missed on The Blog:
- Kiyonna is giving away a dress just in time for Valentine’s Day! Two lucky readers will win one of two sexy lace dresses from Kiyonna. You have until Sunday, February 9th to enter. Enter here.
- Whether you love it or dread it, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Whether you have a partner or not, reward yourself with some sexy panties. Nothing can make a women feel sexier faster than a pair of fabulously sexy panties. We’ve rounded up 25 + 1 sexy plus size panties for your Valentine’s Day.
- Amber Riley is doing the damn thing! She has been everywhere and looking fashionable doing it. She rocked a hot black and nude Tadashi Shoji dress to a recent red carpet event and looked amazing. Find out how you can get Amber’s look.
- Anna Scholz for Simply Be Lingerie has launched and is FIERCE! Yes, honey! The collection is uber sexy and features the GORGEOUS Ashley Graham. The pictures don’t look to be retouched and she still looks amazing. The lace, the styles, the colors, the sheerness…everything about this collection is YASSSSS! See the collection.