Ask the Reader: What item are you most afraid of wearing?

What item are you most afraid of wearing?

It has been a minute since I have done an ask the reader post. I love hearing from you guys- you are quite the sharp and resourceful bunch.

So today, I had been thinking, doing a bit of self inventory and realized, I am terrified of skater skirts. If you have been following me on Facebook, I touched on this before. I love the look of them, but for some unknown reason, I get extreme pause to actually step into one. I have bought two, to try to push myself out of my fear, to no avail.

Plus size skater Skirts

Maybe this comes from my years as a cheerleader and they are wayyyyy too familiar. Or maybe it is because I am a little older and they (skater skirts) read a bit younger than I am… I really do admire the style and the many ways they have been worn, BUT DAMMIT.

I CANT. I think I am scared.

I don’t want to show too much of my business. I dunno. LOL. I am stuck here.

Which had me thinking, I wanted to know if I was alone in being so apprehensive in trying something new.

What item are you most afraid of wearing?

So I ask you today, what item are you the most afraid of wearing?

Do you think we could overcome this fear together? If enough of you decide to face your own item that you dread or fear wearing, I will do it too! Maybe we could hastag it? I dunno.

plus size fashion at Chic and Curvy Boutique

1. Violet

October 18, 2013 at 3:56 AM

I am with you on this Marie! I was terrified to try the Skater skirt because of the “Donk” I have! I am afraid it will show the world what the good lord gave me back there lol But I went ahead and bought one that I have been eyeing from ASOS for a long time now.I tired it on and it actually hit me right above the knee. But I find myself just taking it off and putting something else on. I am thinking of putting it on this week and going out with it on…. Fingers crossed I actually let myself do it lol

• Sarah Rae

October 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Omg I was scared of it too. But just last week I said eff it and finally bought one. I did an OOTD with it and that outfit post exploded on Tumblr for me and got some insane attention. People have responded so well to it… I’m starting to think skater skirts were designed for plus size girls.

Seriously, put that thing on and #werk! 😉

October 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

WERK it boo! I wanna see pics!!!

• Guest

October 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Definitely pencil skirts! I feel that if I use them, my hips and belly will look horrible… But I would love to wear them 🙁

October 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM

You can do it! It is all about fit, where your top hits with this and then where the skirt hits!

• Violet

October 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Yess I saw you in that skirt and you rocked it. Your are one of the reasons why I am going to rock mine with confidence! 🙂

October 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Let’s do it! I am going to find me one to buy and play in! I will make this work! 🙂 LOLOLOL

• Violet

October 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I love it!!! lol When you get your piece it would be so cool to collab on our blogs about it! 🙂

October 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I am sooo here for this! 🙂

2. Reni Valentine

October 18, 2013 at 5:13 AM

High-waisted pants. I have a short torso and the dreaded spare tire, so I feel a bit like a Scotch egg!

October 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Oh nooO! It is all about proportions with those! 🙂 I dare you to try it on at least! 🙂

3. Missy May

October 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Crop tops or ‘Show your stomach’ as my people will say and mini skirts!! I don’t think I have the confidence for it. Smh!

October 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

We gotta face our fears… I am going to get me a skater skirt and try to make it work! Can you try too! LOL 🙂

• Missy May

October 19, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Good..lets do this thang!! lol! I will try it Marie.. 🙂

4. StillSuga

October 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Bodycon dresses. I have seen some in plus size that are very well cut and I’ve tried on some that look nice but ultimately I’m always like hmmmm….maybe not for me and go pick up that wrap or ruched dress. Sadness!

October 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Let’s do it! I believe you can! I promise! 🙂 Let’s go!

5. Realityblackout

October 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Skinny Jeans. I think my thighs are too large for them. But they look so cute on so many different people. The jeans I wear normally are super tight on my thighs, but I just can’t do the skinny jeans. I fear my legs will look like chicken drumsticks.

October 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM

NOPE. Go for it… I am going to face my fear, playing with a few options over the weekend to buy! With your skinny jeans, all that matters is your fit, and the rest of the outfit too! 🙂 You can do it! I am going ot try and face my fear- you can do it too!

6. Lizz

October 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I’m terrified of body con dresses! I’m on the larger side of the plus size spectrum and I just think a body dress or skirt would look terrible on my body! =/ They looks so amazing on others’ bodies though

October 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Mmmm I think you have the perfect opp to try one on love! And if you like to wear shapewear, maybe this will help? 🙂

7. Ticka

October 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Skater skirts for me too!! My butt hikes everything up in the back, so I’m scared that a skater skirt will have all of my business in the streets! lol

• MilaXX

October 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Skater skirts don’t work for me either. I have a shelf butt and any skirt that flares out ends up higher in the back than the front. I’m not afraid of it, it just doesn’t work for my body. My solution is a skater dress that hits just at the knee. I get the style but in a much more flattering way.

October 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Ahhh I see… I need to face this fear… lol

October 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I am going to tackle this… LOL

8. Sarah Lyon-Schmidt

October 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Lately? Pants. For real. I get terrible muffin top because I don’t have much of a waist and it’s gotten worse because I’ve put on some weight recently. Aside from working out, I’ve worn pants like once in the last year. Real life. My boss has NEVER seen me wear pants. I need to get back on the horse, and a bunch of merlot-colored pants this season have been tempting.

October 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Hrmmm… I am sure you can fin a pair that could work… Who do you wear on a regular? Which designers?

9. kazul

October 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I’m scared of hats. I love them, I buy them and then I’m afraid they just look silly on me so I don’t wear them. 🙁

October 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Ahhh I barely or hardly wear them cause of my big hair! LOL

10. MilaXX

October 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM

After browsing through the post, I don’t think I have anything I’m afraid of. Some things I simply had to find the brand/style that works for my body. Skinny jeans were difficult until I found the right cut. Other things I had to adjust for me. A skater skirt doesn’t work on me, but a skater dress does. I’m watching the finale of #WNTW and I think one of the biggest things I learned from this show is to try things on.

October 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Two snaps and thank you for sharing! Trying it on is the biggest thing! 🙂

• MilaXX

October 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

It took me a long time to come to the realization that I needed to try things on instead of immediately saying I can wear something.

11. Arianna Varas

October 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I have two things that I just can’t seem to buy or wear: Bodycon dresses & skater skirts. I love them both on other people & see so many beautiful curvy plus size women in them!! But I feel like I have such a different body (plus size & petite). I feel like I’d look ridiculous! I wish I could just say Eff it and wear either one but I dont know. I love reading your blog & I follow you on FB & Instagram just to get inspiration, ideas, and feel the positive energy from you!! so Thank you!!

October 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I say we try to tackle this fear together!

12. Val's Pretty Glam

October 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM

So crazy to be reading this since I just got my ASOS skater skirt and wore it tonight! For me, though, I can’t handle my arms being out! Even cap sleeves make my heart start racing!

October 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Really! I saw we face this together.. You can do it! I currently have a few skater skirts in my shopping cart, cause I will face this!

13. Felissa Mata

October 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM

About 15 years ago or so, I was riding the bus. I was wearing one of my favorite denim mini skirts. A man was sitting across from me, and was leering at me. Apparently every time I crossed my legs or sat up to scoot over for another passenger he had a perfect view of my underwear. I was so horrified that I always made sure if I wore a skirt/dress that I always wore a spanx type short underneath (I.e., granny crawls). Only now at 40 am I getting over it.

October 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

!!!! OH NOOOOOO!

• Felissa Mata

October 22, 2013 at 6:27 AM

I have finally shelved my granny panties, and rock a shorter hemline. Mainly now only one fear remains…bathing suits. Blech!

14. Jameka Foley

October 21, 2013 at 5:20 AM

I am terrified of bright colors. I like to be noticed, but not too noticed

October 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Let’s tackle this together! You can do it and I will too!

15. @EasyBrezy

October 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I’m a curvy woman and I have issues with wearing prints… Do you have any suggestions to any prints that would work for me?

October 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Start small and with basic colors, like a black and white and then start playing around form there! 🙂

• @EasyBrezy

October 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM

thanks 🙂

16. Soumaya Marweni

December 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM

im 24 years old i dont know how to dress cause of my shape i realy need an advice (i m curvy and i love that but my problem is with my chest ( its too big )

• MilaXX

December 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM

1.always wear a good bra (the best you can afford) in the correct size. (get a bra fitting). 2.I find button down the the most difficult for large boobs, everything else is far game. V necks as long as they don’t dip too low, look great and faux wraps are a nice look.

• Soumaya Marweni

December 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM

17. Get Over Yourself!

February 9, 2014 at 3:12 AM

I would say that for the most part I am comfortable with my body but of course I have my days when I rather stay home then hit the street so that no one looks at me weirdly. My biggest fear is to wear bathing suits and I love the water but I just feel like people are laughing at me when take of my clothes and reveal my suit.

18. may1787

March 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

A basic swimsuit. I always wear board shorts with mine, even when I weighed 160 I was too self-concious about stretch marks to even venture into regular swim pants.

19. Shavon Price

April 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I am so afraid of crop tops!!! I purchased one for my 25th birthday…and I would love if you could help me style it!!!