Welcome to our weekly news recap (from last week’s headlines) in the mighty world of plus size including: fashion, community, and industry news you can use! Again, many thanks go to Di from Fat Chic for allowing us to share her roundup with you! And she gives us the news- straight up no chaser! Make sure you check out all the other news, to stay in the know!
Are you ready? Here we Go!
Plus Size News Roundup
- Hope for the future: Amanda Koker, 21 year old graduate from Mount Ida College, is a plus-size person who is a fashion designer that likes a little edge.
- The OC Register has a public service announcement: you’re wearing the wrong bra.
- Marie Claire’s Big Girl in a Skinny World Columnist, Nicolette Mason is the new US Ambassador for Evans!
- Caryn Frankin has some well-researched insight into Vogue/Conde Nast’s new policy of healthy weight and legal age only models.
- According to a study at University of Buffalo, larger-sized automobile drivers are 21% more likely to die in car crashes. This came out of a study of 155,000 fatal car crashes. Certainly this sounds damning, but I have a very serious question: did they ONLY look at car collisions where someone died, or was there a control group that included crashes without fatalities? It’s hard to say without seeing the data where and how size itself contributed to a person’s death. Did the jaws of life not work? Were the paramedics unable to lift a person from the car? Did the airbag hit an organ wrong on 1000 different fat people? This is stuff I really want to understand – for my own health.
- Full Figured Fashion Week Makes the News in Crains Business
- Plus Size Actress, Kim Coles is the new host of the Game show, Are You Normal America
- Lily Mae Harrington may make another plus-size character on the show Glee!
- New York City is banning the sale of sugar-based drinks over the size of 16 ounces. The ban would not impact diet soda, dairy, or fruit juice. So what has the foie gras ban done for the gall bladder surgery rate overall?
- Now that the Daily Mail has been informed it’s run by a bunch of jerks on par with the US publication National Inquirer, they’re taking a new alarmist take on obesity reporting: Calling Someone Fat could be a Hate Crime!
- Sick of Photoshop abuse? Someone took it to the streets with these H&M ads.
- On a fun note: Drop Dead Diva had its season premiere on Sunday. While I want to strangle the costume designers for the crap they put Jane Bingham in, I love how in the plotline her fatness is now not even a thing most of the time. That’s how I’ve learned to live!
- An Irish mother talks about raising her obese son.
- Finally someone is talking about the problem of Fat Bullying- and it does have a place right next to Gay Bullying.
- An interview with eccentrically self-branded photographer Perou brings out some interesting statements about plus-size women and fashion:
“Real shaped women don’t fit in stupidly cut clothes. The only way those stupidly cut clothes look good is if you put them on a clothes hanger, i.e. super skinny models. Do I want to sleep with a super skinny model? No. Do I want a curvy beautiful woman to be around? Yes. As a person I prefer shapely women to stick thin women, but shapely women don’t make unshapely, badly cut clothes look good.”
- So again, it’s a 50/50 facepalm split. The curvy women are also NOT obligated to look like someone you want to f – Perou. When you understand that only in specific occasions are women dressing for the male gaze, you will become a transcendent human being and maybe an even better photographer.
The Business of Plus
- Department store retailer that happens to carry plus-sizes JC Penney got a disturbing quarterly report, with a 20% drop in sales. My experience with them at the end of 2011 was that they had nosedived in the quality of their offerings.
- Apparel retailer Talbots is accepting bids –and the board isn’t happy with the bids they’re getting.
- Ascena Retail, the company that just acquired Charming Shoppes, reported a Q3 dip in share profits.
- Equestrian gear:the next plus-size market niche.
International Plus Size News Roundup
- Overweight police officers in Mangistau have been asked to resign by their interior department.
- The Brazilian Association of Technical Standards had a lecture on creating wearable and comfortable plus-size clothing.
- Brazilian actress Preta Gil is moving forward with a plus size fashion line.
- Take a look at this German publication layout of plus-size model Kelly Brook.
Did something catch your eye? Make sure you visit Fat Chic to read the Plus Size Heath roundup, and catch her Plus Size Sales Roundup as well!