I have been a long fan on FatChic for a while, and I especially love her news roundups! So much so, that I have asked Di if it was okay to share and share and share! Happily she obliged and now I am sharing with you! Each Weds, I will share the news roundup from Fat Chic with you! I want to make sure you are in the know as much as possible, with the help too! Thank you so much Di!
Word on the Street: Week of 4.23
- This blog post talks about Reddit thread: “What’s it like to be a fat person?” It’s angled towards the “fat people are all miserable,” but there is some reality that might be revelatory to those who have never dealt with life above size 14.
- Huffington Post talks about the place of BBW in the pornography market.
- New York Times has an article on plus-celebrity friendly designer Tadashi Shoji.
- This is a review of Beth Ditto’s style, and how she manages to show up fat, in fashion, and not naked.
- Ford models is having an open call.
- If you’re into dress rental, Rent frock plans to offer plus sizes. It doesn’t say when.
- On Jezebel, another cry about limited choices for plus size shoppers.
- Styleite turned up an article from 1919 on “Stylish Stouts.”
- Stacy London is producing a documentary on TLC about plus-size design.
- PsychCentral just ran an article on plus size blogs and retailers.
- In a bewildering first line, the UK Daily Star declares “Size 14 is the new skinny.” Being a particular body size is not a trend that you can put on at will like a pair of socks. Do you sell opening lines of abuse encouraging bullshit like that to men?
- New York Magazine has an interview with plus-size model Candace Huffine.
- Noisha Rhoes was interviewed about an up-and-coming fashion show, and her ambitions as a plus-size designer.
- The Scottish Daily Record profiles three plus-size models that hail from Scotland.
Business of Plus
- Fashion Bug just raised $150,000 for nonprofit Autism Speaks.
- Catherine’s and Fashion Bug have been named as two of the best small cap apparel stocks for investors.
- The Just My Size fashion line had some losses in the 2012 first quarter.
- Christopher & Banks has earned praise as a great financial turnaround story.
- Versa Capital has acquired Avenue.