A Plus Sized Night at 2012 The Golden Globes

Plus Size Fashion at the 2012 Golden Globes

Last night, if you were watching, was a fun night to watch the Golden Globes! For the Curvy Fashionistas, we had not one or two, but four voluptuous women grace the red carpet and stage- serving us different levels of glamour! SERVING it, you hear me!?!

Queen Latifah, Amber Riley, Melissa McCarthy, and Octavia Spencer repped for the plus size woman on the red carpet and I was happy! Last night on the red carpet, there were quite a few trends that I noticed, interestingly some of which the women rocked, which allowed for them to stand out in all of their curvy glory!

Without running off at the mouth, here they are!

Queen Latifah

Queen Latifah at the 2012 Golden Globes

The Queen ALWAYS gives and serves up the glam factor and last night, in a custom Rani Zackhem Dress, Queen Latifah did NOT disappoint! She selected a one-shoulder mermaid evening gown in muted bronze and black silk brocade, embroidered with floating sequins and embellished with an encrusted black Swarovski crystal shoulder cap sleeve. WERQ!

Amber Riley

Amber Riley at the 2012 Golden Globes

Amber Riley kept it Hollywood chic and ravished in this RED Badgley Mischka number. Now I do love this look for Amber, but I saw a dress last night on her co star that I think would have shut.the.awards.down.

Img sourceLea Michelle at the 2012 Golden Globes

If Amber Riley rocked this dress that Lea Michelle wore? LAWD, FIYAH! But alas, she did not! But regardless, she looks fly! Get it Amber for keeping it Curvy!

Melissa McCarthy

Melissa McCarthy at the 2012 Golden Globes

*sigh* I really wanted to love her dress. It is nice and classic; however, I wanted to see more from her. I wanted to see her curves… some color, or maybe even more skin? I don’t know, her Badgley Mischka dress left me wanting more from her! I felt like it was a bit old maybe? I don’t know. However, we have the Oscars, so I am hoping for something fabulous here…

Img source

“Golden Globe Winner” Octavia Spencer

Octavia Spencer at the 2012 Golden Globes

The Help’s Octavia Spencer took home a Golden Globe last night in a pastel Tadashi Shoji number. She looked amazing! Not too much nor too little, Octavia showed off her curves last night and I loved it! For me, for her, it felt right. I would not have rocked the dress, but she looked AMAZING!

Img source

Q. Did you like their looks last night? Who was your favorite?

Keep it Curvy.Confident.Chic.

Comments

1. Monishree3 says

My favorite was Amber Riley, with Queen Latifah as a close second. The red of Amber Riley’s dress looked amazing against her skin tone.

2. Kimberly Fedison says

I agree about Melissa. I think she could have really shined, but that dress didn’t do it. It looks more like pajamas. Melissa has the personality to pull off something way more stunning, and I think she went the “safe” route.

The only look I love from this bunch is Amber’s. She looked awesome. Great fit and color on her. Considering I was not a fan of Lea’s dress, I don’t think it would’ve even looked good on Amber. The color of the dress? Yes. But the dress, itself? Nah.

Octavia’s been WERQ-ing it of late so I was slightly disappointed with this dress. Just slightly. Queen’s dress was good. And I agree with you about Melissa.

I totally agree with this comment Octavia looked great last week at a luncheon but I really didn’t like the color or the fit of this dress. I also think Amber looked great. Melissa and even the Queen looked a little matronly. Great post!!

4. Marjorie Williams says

I was really sad with Melissa’s dress, especially after she ROCKED the emmys.  Loved Amber’s dress.  She’s really becoming quite the fashion plate!

5. Pinkpagoda50 says

I also agree with the comment about Melissa’s dress, the entire thing was just too too matronly.  Flashier color, and lower neckline, with hair down or in an updo, but not the bouffant thing.  She is so pretty!  Show it off!

I’m a huge fan of color so Amber was my fav..but Queen always steps out in style so she’s a close second. Maybe Melissa didn’t feel comfy showing off the skin and curves but couldn’t she have at least wowed us with a few nice accesories?

7. PrincessM112877 says

I hate to say it because I like Melissa, but the hair and the dress made her look like Princess Fiona from Shrek…

8. Gina says

I absoultely loved Queen La and Ocativa’s dress. Amber dress was befitting for her as well, however, Melissa I agree with critics.

Among the curvy girls, Queen and Amber killed it. Octavia did . . . okay. (Loved the color but not the fabric . . . just looked a little underwhelming.) And Melissa . . . was there. *blank stare*

10. Jacquie says

So maybe this isn’t the place for the discussion & maybe I’m way too late to the table for this to be meaningful, but it’s funny that as I’m reading the comments the ones who seem to have gotten it right style-wise are the gorgeous curvy sisters and the one who is not quite like the others is Melissa.  She’s the one covering up, while the others are flaunting their assets & owning their beautiful bodies.
    Is that a comment on society as a whole? In my opinion it seems like curvy black women have far fewer body issues than their curvy caucasian counterparts. (Of which I am one!) Black men have always been far more receptive to the larger form (mine and others), mythe curvy sisters of colour that I know personally have always been much happier in their own skin while I’ve kinda had to grow into mine. It’s just never been as big a focus or an issue.  Is it because of lack of representation in the media? There aren’t as many women of colour featured at all so there are less hang ups because there aren’t as many air brushed to death images to worry about? I wonder about it all.I guess I’m just curious if anyone else wonders about the same thing.

I really hope that this is taken in the honest and inquisitive spirit in which it is intended.  It’s a genuine question that comes from a pure place and in no means is meant to spark any kind of negativity at all.

Hey! It is quite alright to ask this question as it is something that I have talked about and shared thoughts on before!!! I will look for the post, but I think you are onto something when it comes to media portrayal!!!