Curves in the USA- A question

Vogue Italy

D2

Elle France

Evans UK

French Glamour

V Mag

What do these all have in common?

Yesterday on Twitter, news shared most recently, that French Glamour featured a full spread on their full figured fashion bloggers- AND it included two US fa(t)shion bloggers, Gabi and JFatshionable. Most notably, Times UK listed Gabi amongst one of its top 50 influential bloggers.

Fabulous right!

However, this had me thinking, especially after reading @Feminista09s tweet yesterday:

feminista09http://twitpic.com/1ld3sb @afrobella @fatshionable @55SecretStreet@RevoltRealWomen @jezebelDodai @jenniferweiner @dnyree @gabifresh#USfail

US Glamour Size Issue and French Glamour Size Issue Covers

#USfail.

Hmmm.

Mentioned above, are the INTERNATIONAL magazines and retailers who have featured full figured fashion spreads or have integrated US plus size fashion bloggers in the mix(myself included). Which leaves me to wonder, with the slight exception to Marie Claire- with Ashley Falcon, why aren’t or haven’t  the American fashion magazines celebrating, integrating, or including the us full figured fashion bloggers as integrally as their international counterparts?

French, UK, and US Bloggers in French Glamour

One has to wonder.  Why the consistent lack of a plus-size voice within US fashion magazines?  It is evidenced there is a market for it. Especially as Crystal Renn, Ashley Graham, Tara Lynn, Lizzie Miller, Mia Amber, Fluvia Lacerda (to name only a few)- the plus size models whose curves fashion national campaigns, their faces grace magazine covers, their names recognized outside the plus community, and they champion size issues on national television. Especially as me, Gabi, and Nicolette  US fatshion bloggers, blog or Vlog for an international magazine’s website…

Tara Lynn Elle France Curvy Issue

This has me thinking, questions raised, as I celebrate in glee with the advancement of the beauty seen in plus size fashion, and I pose these questions to you:

• Do you think we will ever see a point where the plus size fashion blogger, the plus size fashion community, you- the plus size consumer is respectfully accepted into US fashion magazines?
  • Do you think we will see an editorialized spread of various plus models as evidenced by our international counterparts?
  • Will we see the day a variety of our US plus size fashion bloggers are fully welcomed and respected within our fashion magazines?

I think so! (The eternal optimist, I am) but I see the movement with a different approach- Dollars and Cents. However, we can count out Vogue, as Anna Wintour declared no plus Size fashion will grace her magazine but albeit slow, I think we are on a path!

Your thoughts?

Latest posts by Marie Denee (see all)

Comments

I’ve touched on this a couple of times in my blog – first how US plus-size retailers do not advertise on TV to their demographic – as if they are ashamed to do so. Up until the new Lane Bryant ad, I have NEVER seen a plus-size retailer advertise on TV in the US…think about. Why not? I’ve talked to other bloggers outside the US and their stores do. How can magazines begin to accept plus size models, if the stores that cater to our demographic don’t? It’s incredibly disappointing. Stores like Lane Bryant and Torrid (which are large chains!) don’t reach out to the blogging community, while Evans, ASOS, and City Chic do – just another example of the difference between the US and elswhere.

Secondly, even when a US magazine has shown a plus-size model (ie the new glamour spread) she is incredibly photoshopped. I found unretouched pictures of Crystal Renn from the Glamour shoot, and she looks NOTHING like she does on the cover. Why can’t they show her how she REALLY is? I am thrilled she is in the magazine, but it’s not quite what I would have wanted/expected.

I think eventually the US will be accepting of plus-size fashion, models, and bloggers, but right now we are ridiculously behind the times – it’s actually an embarassment in my opinion.

You bring up an excellent point! Why do you think that we do not see more advertisements for Plus size fashion outside of our digital magazines? Fro reasons evidenced by the Lane Bryant commercial?

Hahahaha… Photoshop, that is a whole other conversation! :)

We will get there one day… one day…

I think that, on many fronts & not just fashion, the US can be very slow to change and embracing movements compared to our foreign counterparts. The European versions of magazines have often been more adventurous and embracing of alternative/subversive/controversial subject matters. Give the US time… and I’m sure Glamour will be the first to do it.

This is a great topic of conversation Marie. It seems the U.S. is always slower in embracing change. Personally I don’t understand why when other publications have been so successful when celebrating the curvy fashion bloggers and plus size models. Could they be scared to be the first in the U.S.? Still, this should not stop you or any other bloggers from continuing to try to break that barrier. Think about where we all were 5 years ago. None of us would have imagined this revolution taking place. Staying positive, focused and supportive of our “curvy” community is the only way we will be celebrated as a money making industry here at home.

Hugs,
    Maddy

Thanks Maddy for showing love! Yes! You touched on community! I think as long as we, together forge ahead and continue to knock on those doors, we can foster and encourage the change that is much needed, a bit faster!

Yes! 5 years ago? We have sure come a long way! And I think as with anything new, you have your innovators, leaders, followers, and late adapters… Hopefully, one will stand up and stand out!

What an awesome post! I know that it’s slow going, but I have total faith that plus-size fashion, models and writers will become more and more mainstream. It’s been a long road, but there is a real surge in women wanting to love their bodies for what they are and see that represented in fashion. The best thing we plus-size women can do is just keep pushing the issue. I will continue to shop and praise the amazing companies creating great fashion, and hold my head up and be proud of my body and my style. Keep moving forward!!

the good ol u s of a is and always will be for a lack of better summation, behind the curve.

here in america everything is about money, especially money made from fashion, is made via illusion most of the time.

it is not widely thought of here that fat is sexy..that fat sells unless its for diet pills or programs..

to answer your question re a US Spread, i would have to say that i and not sure. no one wants to be seen as jumping on the bandwagon and after the almost air of backlash when plus size models were showcased in some of the mags, there might be even more hesitance.

re bloggers and mag acceptance/respect..honestly i hope that the bloggers are not seeking this as a goal..i love the almost grassroots feel of blogging..the set your own terms, follow your own direction of it all..

but if this is something that bloggers are aspiring to, i think that sure a few will get hits here and there in the mags…afterall…a little jumping on the bandwagon DOES sell…
    .-= Goody´s last blog ..TOPSHOP Debuts Make Up Line =-.

Hey girl!!!! Thank you so much for sharing you thoughts… Rather than it being aspirational for bloggers, I am thinking about this from the acceptance and a trend observed… Plus size models rocking amazing editorials overseas, the celebration and inclusion of the plus size community as a whole… lots of love overseas… but curious as to its lack here… :*

I completely agree with this post Marie! My mind has become puzzled with the latest reports in the media regarding the plus size industry. Its as if America doesn’t “get it”—- I have read some absurd articles regarding research which stated that if women see a plus size women in an advertisement or magazine then that will hinder their size acceptance— I was upset when I read that– because if straight size women feel bad when they see a beautiful plus size woman in a magazine then what is the difference between a plus size woman seeing a straight size woman in a magazine? The feelings are the same— so why not have advertisements and magazines that are geared towards a certain demographic?

The issue over all is size acceptance— Yes, I like flipping through a Vogue magazine every now and then but when I read “plus size” focused blogs and magazines I can connect because everything that I see relates to me—

The advancements here in the US are slow but like a volcano the plus size industry will erupt and we will be a force to reckon with— so until then I will continue to blog– I will continue to follow other bloggers and read Skorch and Plus Model magazine— Plus size acceptance will make a shift but if we really want to make a difference they we all need to support each other!

As one of the plus size fashion bloggers in the US I think that it will change but it will be a long time before it happens in the US. I get at least one email a week from international companies wanting to advertise or work with me in some way.

When it comes to US magazines only ezines like SKORCH and Plus Model Magazine seem to be making waves on this side of the water and the sad part is that when it comes to plus size fashion it is more of the couture level items and not the everyday clothes that get the most attention regardless as to it being in the US or on an international level but that is another story.

I think as long as we bloggers keep doing what we do that the print magazines will have no choice but to get in line. The good part about it is that when US magazines do finally get it they will be so far behind the ball that plus size bloggers like us will be dictating to them what they should and should not be doing.

I hope we see a change, but until Anna Wintour changes her stance it wont be likely anytime soon since fashion mags in the US follow what she does. That being said, I do believe that other indie mags will have to take up the charge and change.

I do think one problem in the US is the fashion industry, including publishers of US fashion mainstays, still believe plus size women are more interested in becoming thin, at least smaller, more than they’re interested in buying clothing, & sad to say, there is an element of truth to this. Of course i am preaching to the choir when i say there are many who are interested in high end (or any end for that matter, lol!) plus fashion, but there are sadly many waiting to reach a ‘goal size’ before purchasing.

You are so right, there seems to be a distinct difference when it comes to what the main stream considers “valid sources” as it relates to fashion in this country. We have always looked to international designers to set trends in fashion and give us inspiration. Because there is a more abundant amount of fatshion journalist online today, it is so much easier for them to feel the pulse of the US by a mere google search and tap into an untapped market.

The US needs to embrace the majority of its own popluation. Designers here need to begin to set trends and bring it to the runways of Paris and Milan. The US perspective will always be distored if we continue to chase someone elses perspective.

Thank you for sharing this with the readers of Daily Venus Diva! Continue to be the voice of reason….

Cassy
    News Editor, Daily Venus Diva.com

11. juliette says

This is not the first plus size fashion resurgence – are any of you old enough to remember the plus size fashion section in Vogue? I think it was in the 80s around the time of BBW magazine. There were features with plus size couture clothing and ads from all of the major plus retailers at that time, like Audrey Jones and The Forgotten Women, both now gone. I remember how hopeful I felt – but it never reappeared. American Vogue, in particular, seems to still be tryig to pretend that we don’t exist, which is perplexing considering them shrinking readership. Doesn’t Andre Leon Tally have ANY influence on Ms. Wintour?

I think the International “counterpart” described here is not entirely true. Yes, many magazines have featured large sized models, but it’s a “trend” and not an ongoing thing. It’s not as if the US is terribly behind, but I do remember there being a nude picture of a “plus sized model” (she was a size 8) in Elle or Harper’s Bazaar (can’t recall because I subscribe to both) and it was a BIG DEAL in the US. People complained about her stomach, about how “gross” it was…if you google it I’m sure you can find it but it was not nice to read and if I were the beautiful model who didn’t look large at all I’d be super depressed.

…My point is that THAT is the reason why there are no plus size models featured. The feedback is terrible.

Oh, I LOVE this post! You’ve made so many good points, and I like your optimism as well. There is definitely a disconnect in the US to real woman’s bodies, and who they sell fashion to. Where I’m from (Sacramento, CA) it’s a rather chunky town, myself included, and I know countless stylish woman who can’t seem to find hip clothes in normal sizes. There will be shops full of tiny misses sizes, yet most of us are not the 0-3 they stock with. Therefore, the few M, L, sizes 10 and up get sold out fast. I alwsys ask the merchant why they don’t carry more larger sizes, and they claim it’s manufacturing. That the manufacturers don’t make larger size clothing. It’s as if they don’t think a larger woman has the pocketbook or the desire to style up! My guess is that the US has a bit of disconnect on what beauty is. That culturally it must be idealized, not realized. But I hold out with hope too. Especially as real life woman with real-life curves post their outfit posts. We’ve got style, and rock it in our real lives.

I am a petite but I share the same point of views. It is hard to find, be it off or online clothing store for plus sizes. What we can do is to be positive and accept our own body and mix and match .

We dont have to be skinny or tiny to go for fashions.

15. Emikoftokyo says

I really think that us is an epic fail when it comes to complex and also looks on woman. you look in the magazine then you catch yourself looking at yourself. like :” am i really that plus size” then I order french Elle and I see how pretty and curvy they look and i laugh. I was telling others that I wanna model in Europe oh and eat the great food. ALso have you noticed that they sale the plus size cloths and bras in our sizes and we have to buy it from there oh and Australia. you gotta love it. In all , I think it will be hard and will take forever for the US to get on this curvy train. That goes as far in the edit wise section, plus even to see more stores it will be a long process. I will go and do what ive been doing: go across the Atlantic to get what i want.

Trackbacks